Okay so team engagement is not a quick fix. However, there are some basic things that we easily forget when we’re busy trying to run a company. And these tips are worth the detour for the return you get from staff.
- Listen more than you talk. For at least one week, try to listen and really hear what people are saying.
- Show them you care. Ask about them personally. Do you even know who is married, has kids, etc.?
- Get out of your office. Go walk around your place of business. Interact with all levels of your team. Watch them interacting with customers and each other.
- Ask for solutions and feedback – instead of just giving orders.
- Catch them doing something good – and say “great job” publically.
- Say thank you.
- Let them see you do some of the “dirty” work. Pick up trash on your way in from the parking lot. Hold the door open for someone else. Answer a phone that is ringing when everyone else is busy.
- Give others a chance to lead. Ask someone else to lead a meeting or project you would normally lead.
- Build trust. Admit when you’ve made a mistake and use their mistakes as learning opportunities.
- Do what you say you are going to do. Follow-through or follow-up. This also leads to trust.
There are certainly tons more and there is much more to building a strong culture and a strong team. What others would you add?